- What is Merchant Navy?
- Why should you pursue a career in Merchant Navy ?
- How can i Register My Name & Order for IMU-CET Books & Sponsorship Kit?
- What all the things i will be getting for that? Give Details
- Why Join Merchant Navy?
- Who should join Merchant Navy?
- How is Merchant Navy better than any other career option?
- Sea of Opportunity available
- What are the qualifications required to join DNS, Bsc Nautical Science Or B.E Marine Engineering Course in India?
- What is the best choice to join, after 12th or after graduation?
- Do we need IIT rank to qualify , what is the difference in qualifying through IIT ranking and direct joining ?
- IMU – CET is as given above.
- I fulfill the criteria for joining so what is the process of joining Merchant Navy?
- Of the 2 methods described above which one is preferred?
- What do you mean by a sponsored candidate?
- Is there any education loan’s available?
- What is IMU?
- What happens after the selection process?
- What if I want to give up sailing in the future after becoming a Captain of a ship? Can I get employment ashore?
- How to Register My Name & Order for IMU-CET Books & Sponsorship Kit?
- Do Sponsored candidate also have to appear for the IMU test?
- When selecting companies what should I look for?
- Can we apply for Education Loan ?
- Can we take our family on ship ?
- Can we come home during On – Board Course? What are the Holiday Schemes after it?
What is Merchant Navy?
The Merchant Navy is commercialaspects of Shipping Industryand Indian navy is the defence aspects. So there is a clear distinct difference between Merchant Navy and Indian Navy. Merchant navy fleet which basically deals with the transporting cargoby sea, to destinations around the world. Life in the Merchant Navy may be full of fun and adventure, but it is also hard work that requires the knowledge of navigation, maintenance and safe operation of a variety of vessels which travel long distances across the seas. The Merchant Navy fleet is mainly composed of cargo liners, tankers, cruisers, passenger vessels and other special types of seafaring vessels. Although modern vessels today are equipped with sophisticated gadgetry to deal with all emergencies, professionals employed on these vessels.
Why should you pursue a career in Merchant Navy ?
Apart of a promising career, Merchant Navy ensures: you are paid while you learn, you get the chance to travel the worldat your company's expense, time off is quality period measured in weeks and months - not just days , your life at sea is challenging and rewarding. You can quickly rise to the top and gain responsibility, respect and a salary to match there is a lifetime of personal development opportunities post life at sea.
How can i Register My Name & Order for IMU-CET Books & Sponsorship Kit?
You can call us At 9987194176,and order for the book @ Rs 4999/-Only. Once we receive your payment, We will send you All study materialsfor IMU-CET & Company Sponsorship
To your E-MAIL address given and further printedbooks will be sent to your home addressvia fastest courier.You can request us for tracking details of Courier/Parcel sent.
And will be sending all further updates, practice question& notification regarding tests on bi-monthly basis on your registered E-Mail address.
If you have any queries please feel free to contact us on the below no. – 9987194176
What is the total cost of all study materials & Preparatory Books for IMU CET & Sponsorship Test Kit you are providing?
What all the things i will be getting for that? Give Details
To Order For IMU-CET Study Materials, Preparatory Books & CompanySponsorship Kit Books @Rs 4999/-Only. Call @9987-194-1761
What All You Get @Rs 4999/-
- Updated & RevisedStudy Materials,Preparatory Books&Online E-MaterialsForIMU-CET EXAM.
- Updated & RevisedSponsorship Kit,Preparatory Materials&Online E-MaterialsForCompany Sponsorship Test.
- Online Study-Materials & Practice Set For IMU-CET.
- Registration For Company Sponsorship Test.
- Special Guidance For Government College.
- All Required Support Till Final Admission.
- All Updates Regarding Test/Interviews/ Online Exam.
- All Subjects Practice Questions/Mock Test PaperOn Bi-Monthly Basis.(On 15thDay Of Every Month Through E-mail).
- Updated Placement Records With Company Details ,Fees Details, Facilities Available, Of All IMU College , So You Choose The Best .
- Career Guidance& Medical TestsAdvice ,As Per Your Interest Field & Eligibility.
- Support & Assistance For Bank Loan& Scholarships.
- List OfSure- ShotQuestions Will Be Mailed, One Day Before Every Company Sponsorship Test.
- And 100% Assurance Of Sure-Success With Our Maine Experts Support & Guidelines.
Why Join Merchant Navy?
Merchant Navy is a very lucrative career, some of the many attractions of this profession are listed below:-
- High income ( Tax Free)
- Independence and responsibility at a young age
- Quick promotions
- No expenseswhilst on board ( High classaccommodation and cuisine)
- Travel around the globe and experience the world
- Adventure – No two days on the ship are the same
- Long Vacations - Time to pursue your hobbies
- Future opportunities to pursue a career ashore
Who should join Merchant Navy?
If you are adventurous person who likes to be outdoors and is not interested in a monotonous 9-5 job, then Merchant Navy is
the best career option for you.
How is Merchant Navy better than any other career option?
A student who passes his/her 10+2 exams and takes up any stream for further studies spends at least another 4 years in
college before becoming eligible for a job in the particular stream. Whereas a candidate who joins Merchant Navy, has to
undergo only 1 year of training at an approved institute and then starts earning whilst doing the onboard training. Moreover undergo only 1 year of training at an approved institute and then starts earning whilst doing the onboard training. Moreover the stipend received during the training period itself is higher than the starting salaries in many career streams ashore.At the age of 21 when a normal student graduates from any stream and starts looking for a job, the candidate who has joined
Merchant Navy has already completed his/her training and starts working as an officer on board the ship and earns wages to the tune of more than 1 Lakh rupees per month.
Sea of Opportunity available?
There are various types of ships but the main job of a ship is to transport goods or people from one place to another. Ships
are responsible for transporting 96% of goods around the world and is the most important service helping to keep the
wheels of the global economy moving smoothly. Shipping is a vital link in world trade and today it is one of the booming
sectors of the industry. If you join the merchant navy you could choose to be a navigating officer (also known as a deck officer)
or an engineering officer.
What are the qualifications required to join DNS, Bsc Nautical Science Or B.E Marine Engineering Course in India?
For 10+2 Science students: from a recognized Board/University with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (PCM), with not
less than 60% marks in PCM aggregate.
For BSc students: With Physics as an individual subject in any one of the years of B.Sc., with not less than 60% marks in the
final year of B.Sc., from a recognized University provided that the candidate must have passed 10 + 2 examination with
Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (PCM) from a recognized Board.
For BE/B.Tech Students: or its equivalent degree from I.I.T. or from a college recognized by AICTE/UGC/DEC.
STUDENTS AWAITING RESULTS CAN ALSO APPLY
English: Should have passed with not less than 60% marks in English as a separate subject, at either 10th or 12th standard
or in the Degree programme conducted by a recognized Board/University.
Age Limit: Not more than 25 Yrs at the commencement of course (Course commences on 1st Monday in February and
August every year)
Physical and Medical Standards: Medically fit as per the standards set by Merchant Shipping Medical Examination Rules
and eyesight 6/6 in each eye without visual aids.
Go on the website to view the Rules, http://www.dgshipping.com/dgship/final/rules/medicex.html
What is the best choice to join, after 12th or after graduation?
The Deck Cadet DNS Training programme leads to a diploma and thereafter a BSc degree in Nautical Science on successful completion of the full Cadet Training programme.
After completion of the 1st and 2nd semester in the Pre-sea institute (total 1 year) the candidate is awarded an advanced
Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS). He/she then has to complete the remaining 3 semesters (3,4 & 5) as onboard training.
During the onboard training the candidate is given the training material for the Distance Learning Programme, which is to becompleted and submitted to the Pre-sea Institute at the completion of each semester.
After the successful completion of all the 3 semesters the candidate has to attend 4 months of college for preparing for their
2nd Mates exams. On clearing the written and oral exams the candidate obtains a certificate of competency and is alsoawarded a BSc degree in Nautical Science by IMU. For more information visit http://www.imu.tn.nic.in/
Since the course itself leads to graduation, it would be best to pursue the course immediately after the 12th std which wouldgive the candidates a head start over the students joining after their graduation.
Do we need IIT rank to qualify , what is the difference in qualifying through IIT ranking and direct joining ?
The entrance exam for Merchant navy is conducted by the Indian Maritime University and the exam is called CET – common
entrance test which is a test one can take to join any shipping related stream – deck, engine, Naval architecture. This exam
is conducted in December and June of each year at around 15 centres all over India. The eligibility criteria for attempting the
IMU – CET is as given above.
IIT-JEE exam ranking is used for joining in a 3-year BSc Nautical Science degree course at a Government institute. These institutes are few and seats limited.
I fulfill the criteria for joining so what is the process of joining Merchant Navy?
Joining Merchant Navy as a deck cadet can be done in the following ways:
Apply to Sponsored College for the post of Deck Cadet.
1. The company will invite the applicant for a selection test provided the applicant fulfills all the qualification criteria setby DG Shipping and the Company as mentioned above.
2. Applicant undergoes company selection test which includes a written test, a Psychometric evaluation,Interview andMedical Test.
3. If applicant is successful in clearing the selection test then he is told to appear the IMU entrance test
4. On successful passing of the IMU entrance test the applicant is advised to undergo a 1 year pre-sea course at aninstitute of the company’s choice.
1. Applicant appears for IMU entrance test.
2. Applicant passes the IMU entrance test.
3. Applicant is counseled and he is allocated a Pre-Sea College anywhere in India.
4. Applicant waits for companies to conduct campus recruitment or applies to companies on completion of the course.
Of the 2 methods described above which one is preferred?
The 1st method is preferred as you are employedby a company before having done the course, and you also have anassurance of a sea berth for completing your training. This is not the case with the 2nd method where you have to look for ajob on completion of the course.
The onboard training berths are much fewer compared to the pre-sea training seats, hence if you do not have an assuredsea berth you may even spend a year trying to get an employment with a shipping company.
In the 1st method you are classified as a sponsored cadet, in the second method you are an un-sponsored cadet.
What do you mean by a sponsored candidate?
The term sponsored candidate is used for as a candidate who will be sponsored a sea-berth on board a ship on completionof training. It does not relate to sponsorship of tuition fees at the pre-sea training institute.
A candidate who has met all the qualifying criteria; will be sponsored by Ship Management Company on-board one of its large fleet of ships.
Candidates who are still undergoing the company selection process will declare themselves as a non-sponsored candidatein the Form A of the IMU entrance exam. These candidates can later declare themselves as a sponsored candidate if theyare selected by any shipping company.
Is there any education loan’s available?
Yes, once you have been selected by IMU & Sponsoring Company , we can arrange for banks to give you education loans at existing market rates, you could also on your own approach a bank of your choice to obtain educational loans at favorable interest rates.
What is IMU?
The IMU or Indian Maritime University was formed by an Act of Parliament; the headquarters of the University is at Chennaiwith its campuses at Mumbai, Kolkata Chennai and Vishakhapatnam. Information about IMU can be obtained from theirwebsite www.imu.tn.nic.in
What happens after the selection process?
After you have fulfilled and completed all the selection formalities i.e. Fulfilling Company and Directorate of Shippingrequirements, You will be directed to undergo a 1 year pre-sea training at a Maritime Institute of our choice. You will beinformed about the institute in due course of time. The 1 year pre-sea course is a residential course i.e. you will be residingin hostel inside the campus.
In the 1 year pre-sea course, you will be imparted training in shipping related fields and on general related topics. It isimperative that you pass both the semesters in order to satisfy requirements for going on board ships.
After completion of the 1 year pre-sea training successfully, all your travel document requirements have to be in order beforeyou can be placed on board ship. For this reason you must apply for your passport immediately on selection as a deck cadetor at least have your passport ready with you before completion of the 1st Semester.
Once your travel documents are ready, you will be called to attend a briefing session prior proceeding on a ship to undergothe Shipboard Structured Training programme (SSTP). The onboard training period is for 18months, during this period thecompany will be paying you a stipend of USD 400/- per month. Boarding and lodging on board the ship is provided free ofcharge.
What if I want to give up sailing in the future after becoming a Captain of a ship? Can I get employment ashore?
There are plenty of jobs available for Captains and Chief engineers ashore in marine related or engineering related fields.
These positions carry much prestige and status.
How to Register My Name & Order for IMU-CET Books & Sponsorship Kit ?
You can call us At 9987194176,and order for the book @ Rs 4999/-Only. Once we receive your payment , We will send you All study materials for IMU-CET & Company Sponsorship.
To your E-MAIL address given and further printed books will be sent to your home address via fastest courier.You can request us for tracking details of Courier/Parcel sent.
And will be sending all further updates,practice question & notification regarding tests on bi-monthly basis on your registered E-Mail address.
If you have any queries please feel free to contact us on the below no. – 9987-194-176.
Do Sponsored candidate also have to appear for the IMU test?
Yes the IMU CET is a compulsory entrance test made mandatory by the Government of India for any candidate aspiring to take up a career in the merchant navy.
When selecting companies what should I look for?
Choosing the right Shipping company is the key:
Join a company which provides you
a career path and
has a structured training programme
has a good safety and quality record
has a sizeable fleet of ships to be able to provide continuous employment and varied experience
Check out the companies past track record.
Stipend remuneration should be your least priority, if you are a well trained officer the money will follow. The period that you
spend on board as a cadet is the time for learning, what knowledge and experience you gain during this period will stand you in good stead as an officer in the later years. The company that provides extensive training is the one you should be looking
Can we apply for Education Loan ?
Loan process will be your responsibility and you will have to choose the bank who will be willing to give you the loan. We will assist you in loan process. Our all Courses are professional Courses. After Successful completion of the courses students join the Shipping Companies. A Pre – Placement / Sponsorship letter is given to every student at the time of joining. There are two important reasons why one can get loan with easily:
- Pre - Assured Job.
- Highest Packages any Industry can offer.
- Letters pertaining to the approval of courses
- References of Sanction of loan proposals for all banks.
- For the List of Bank visit Education Loan at our website.
Can we take our family on ship ?
Most companies provide facilities to take families after a certain rank.ie: At this stage, top 4 senior officers (Master, C/O, C/E, 2/E) are allowed to carry family onboard.
Can we come home during On – Board Course? What are the Holiday Schemes after it?
Students are not allowed to go home during On – Board Course except for any genuine reason and is sanction by the Master of the Ship. After the Course Completion there are 5 months working 2 months off, 4 months working 2 months off, 2 months working 2 months off Schemes with Respective Shipping Companies.