The duration of the Pre-Sea Training Course For General Purpose Ratings is 6 months. The course is fully residential as per the Directorate General of Shipping norms, requiring all the trainees to reside in-house. The course will cover all aspects of the sea-faring profession (Deck and Engine), which also include swimming, physical drills, workshop training, rope and mast climbing, life saving, fire fighting exercises and ship visits etc. Pre Sea Training for Ratings will also include the, following basic STCW 95 courses
- Personal Survival Techniques (PST).
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (PSSR).
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FPFF).
- Elementary First Aid (EFA).
- Oil Tanker Familiarisation (OTFC).
BATCHES: Every 1st date of JANUARY & JULY of the year.
Eligibility Critria For Admission:
Admission is open to all Indian citizens, who are between the ages of 171/2 to 25 years on the date of commencement of the course.
Minimum educational qualification is a pass in the S.S.C / 10th or its equivalent exam from any recognized board, with English, Science and Mathematics (pass) as subjects. Aggregate/ overall percentage must not be less than 40% and in ENGLISH subject minimum required is 40% either in 10th/12th exams.er n.
Medical Fitness: As per MS 2000 Rules
- Distance Vision (Unaided) 1.0 (6/6) in better eye and (6/9) in other eye.
- Normal colour Vision (To be tested by Ishiara test chart)
- Height and Weight (Height without shoes: weight in indoor clothing) Minimum
- Height 157 cm. (5'2")
- Weight 48kg (105 lbs.)
Note: Before joining an institute candidates will be required to undergo medical examination by a DGS approved Doctor. A list of DGS approved doctors is provided on DG Shipping website, as well as on BES website, or MTA will arrange if requested
All prospective candidates desirous of admission for the general purpose rating (gp rating) courses commencing at our udvada (gujarat) academy on 1st january & 1st july every year, are hereby notified that:
As per the Directorate General of Shipping, Training Branch Circular no. 3 of 2013, dated 13.02.2013, there will be no COMMON
ENTRANCE TEST (CET) WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT, TILL FURTHER NOTICE.
In line with the above, our own system for selection for the July 2013 batch onwards is as follows:
GENERAL PURPOSE RATING (G.P. RATING): ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR COURSE:
- Nationality-This course is open only to all Indian nationals.
- Maximum age limit- Not less than 17 ½ years and not more than 25 years on the date of commencement of the course.
Only candidates falling in the above age group can apply.
- Minimum academic qualifications
Passed in 10th/12th Standard from a recognised board with Science, Mathematics and English as subjects. Aggregate should be 40%, with Maths & Science and 40% in English.
- Medical standards-
||Normal 6/6 vision in both eyes without glasses/ spectacles and no colour blindness.
Candidates should be free from any disability, disease or abnormality. Medical examination will be carried out by the approved authority as per Merchant Shipping Medical Examination Rules 2000 prior to final selection.
- Documents required at the time of submission of form
- 10th Standard or higher passed certificate, showing Science, Mathematics & English as subjects.
- Mark-sheet for the above.
- Birth Certificate.
- School leaving Certificate.
- Any other certificates awarded for extra curricular activities like sports, drama, etc.
The candidates should submit completed application form to our MUMBAI office address with the following documents:
- 2 - Attested copies of 10th/ S.S.C. / higher Passing Certificate.
- 2 - Attested copies of 10th/ S.S.C. / higher Mark sheet.
- 2 - Attested copies of School leaving Certificate.
- 2 - Recent colour photographs. (Size: 40 mm X 30 mm).
- 2 - Attested copies Passport or be applied well in advance before the start of the course.
- Any other Certificates of higher educations.
- All the copies should be attested by School / College Principal only.
Any suppression of truth, mis-representation of facts or submission of false certificates will result in cancellation of admission, forfeiture of fees and shall be punishable as per law. Fees once paid will not be refunded under any circumstances.
Final Exit Examination:
A mid-term examination (written, oral & practical) will be conducted halfway through the training by the academy.For Candidate who performs poor, a warning letters are sent to the parents of trainees who remain deficient in the examination, as a continues monitoring process.
At the end of the 6 months course trainees will have to appear for final examinations, conducted by the Board of Examination for Seafarers (BES). The final examination will be in written, oral & practical.A Candidate who fails in the final examination can re-sit with total three attempts as per the rules of BES/DGS.
A candidate who wishes to re appear for the next attempt will have to mandatorily attend the classes for at least one month to re-sit. He will have to pay the lodging/ boarding charges and examination fees.
Issuance of CDC & Course Certificates:
After completing the Pre-Sea Training (G.P.) and STCW’95 Basic Safety Courses, the successful trainees are eligible to get the Continuous Discharge Certificate (CDC) from the Shipping Master, Government of India. The Academy will procure the CDC of passed out candidates and issue with all the other certificates.
After passing out from the Academy and obtaining the CDC from the Shipping Master, Mumbai, the trainees qualify to take up employment as seamen aboard a ship of Indian or Foreign flag on their own.
With further sea-service, these ratings may be promoted as Seaman Helmsman, Able Bodied Seaman or Motorman and also to the Officer’s level, subject to certain D.G. Shipping requirements.